Medium Format Forum

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

X2D and Magnetic Filters

I have been using the KASE magnetic system for over a year now but all of a sudden the Kase lens cap has started getting repelled on my 135:2.8 lens and I have no idea why, before it would snap on like all the other lenses...........any ideas?
Sounds weird. Have you tried another cap? My Kase filters and caps still work fine. May be the Eclipse reversed the polarity of your cap!
 
Sounds weird. Have you tried another cap? My Kase filters and caps still work fine. May be the Eclipse reversed the polarity of your cap!
I’m going to buy a new adapter and see if that solves the issue, just waiting for the Kase rep in the UK to give me the correct part number
 
I have been scratching my head as to which magnetic filter system to use for my 20-35mm E, 55V and soon to be released 35-100mm E lenses. They range from 72mm to 77mm to 86mm (I think) and that means in order to just use one set of filters I need to jump to 95mm to cover them all. Not many manufacturers make 72-95mm magnetic step ups and like one of the replies above I wish to have a UV filter on permanently for protection (i.e. not a magnetic UV filter that can come off).

So that means fitting a screw in UV filter to each lens first, then step ups with magnetic capabilities so that any other filters I add will stick magnetically.

Nisi doesn't make a 72-95mm magnetic step up.
Polarpro Base plates should fit each lens but the 86mm base plate is coarse thread and I have no idea if the new 35-100mm lens has a coarse or standard thread.
Maven makes some really useful step up rings with built in UV filters which would be perfect except they also don't make a 72-95mm version of these.
Kase doesn't make a 72-95mm magnetic step up either!

I'm at my wits end to make this work with one set of filters or may be I shouldn't and get a 82mm set for the 20-35mm and 55V and something else for the new lens?

Help!
I'm missing something here.......why do you feel that you have to go to 95mm ? The Hassy XCD 35-100 is 86mm. Is that the largest diameter lens ? Vignetting concerns when stacking multiple filters ?

Why not buy one set of filters/magnetic adapter for the largest diameter lens that you have and then individual step up rings for the smaller lenses ?

FWIW, I have Breakthrough X4 magnetics and they're just fine. I also intentionally purchased their screw in UV filter(s), primarily for lens protection. Then, the magnetic adapter ring threads into the UV filter. I have identical (diameter specific) setups for 77mm and 82mm (3 Stop, 6 stop and CPL).

I don't have the Hassy XCD 35-100 yet, but I will be buying the same (diameter specific) setup in 86mm when I get it.

I also have step up rings to go from 72-77 and 77-82mm. Need them ? Probably not. Redundancy, small in size and weight and inexpensive ? Yes.
 
Back
Top