Medium Format Forum

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Stripe Problem

anto

Hello,
i have a strange problem.Sometime i have a something that looks like a light stripe in the middle of the image. The frame before are good, and so the frame after.any suggestion?

You can see in the file portion

Attachments

• Job_0034-b2.jpg
    EXIF
    Job_0034-b2.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 21
Sorry, I can't quite see what you are talking about in your uploaded sample. How often does this happen? You also did not indicate what camera and what sized sensor.

If it is a line exactly in the center of the frame, it is probably what is called "center folding". Many of the sensors are actually two sensors joined together. On rare occasion the internal processing fails to eliminate the seam, or the fix doesn't register with the post processing software. Sometimes it is because of a power issue (weak battery or shooting to fast). Sometimes it can be eliminated by reprocessing the same RAW frame.

If it persists, reload the camera and digital back firmware, and reload the post processing software ... that would eliminate those factors before moving to a more drastic solution such as sending it off to be evaluated.

-Marc

Thank you Marc for the help.

the camera is a H3DII 39. The line is exactli in the center, and it happened a couple of times since i use this camera.

These cameras are quite power sensitive ... there is an enormous draw when shooting and writing those big files to the CF card ... sometimes low power can cause intermittent issues with the files. It is pretty rare, but can happen.

The line being in the center tells me it is the place where the two sensor halves are joined. It shouldn't do that, and may need to be remapped ( mapping is where dead pixels are fixed ... all backs have some dead pixels and are mapped to eliminate them).

I'd keep my eye on it and make sure you are using a good battery, not shooting faster than the camera can reasonably clear the buffer, and try using a different CF card and a different card reader. Then if it persists or gets worse, get it serviced.

-Marc

These cameras are quite power sensitive ... there is an enormous draw when shooting and writing those big files to the CF card ... sometimes low power can cause intermittent issues with the files. It is pretty rare, but can happen.

The line being in the center tells me it is the place where the two sensor halves are joined. It shouldn't do that, and may need to be remapped ( mapping is where dead pixels are fixed ... all backs have some dead pixels and are mapped to eliminate them).

I'd keep my eye on it and make sure you are using a good battery, not shooting faster than the camera can reasonably clear the buffer, and try using a different CF card and a different card reader. Then if it persists or gets worse, get it serviced.

-Marc

At the time of the problem, i was out on the field and one of my battery fails.So, i had to use the other since they could work.Also , may be at the same time ,the shoting rate was too high.I'm post processing some more recent files , and since now they seems fine.

Anto

Back