Medium Format Forum

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Ibex Dunes

Deon

I created this image the year Death Valley National Monument became Death Valley National Park. Death Valley National Park is much bigger than Death Valley National Monument was. Trish and I were camped where we thought we were outside of the park, we were not. It was an all day journey to get to this location, involving a four wheel drive and a lot of courage to traverse the barely visible track in deep fluffy sand. After finding a fantastic place to camp we were enjoying the evening with a glass of wine, when a four wheel drive police car with its lights flashing and siren blaring raced toward us. What! we're in the middle of nowhere! The two rangers (police) burst from their vehicle as if we had just robbed a bank. What are you doing here? they yelled at us. Camping I replied. They were furious having travel hours to find not a stuck motorist in distress, but a pair of artist camping in the new National Park, which was illegal. Thay did calm down after a bit, and we were allowed to stay camped and stay as we wanted (two more days). A very strange encounter with law enforcement. Anyway it was a great play to camp as we encountered a plethora of places and objects to be photographed while we stayed.

Ibex Dunes - Death Valley National Park, California. Hasselblad Flexbody w/ 350mm f=5.6 CF lens (fuji Velvia).
IbexDunes.jpg

I created this image the year Death Valley National Monument became Death Valley National Park. Death Valley National Park is much bigger than Death Valley National Monument was. Trish and I were camped where we thought we were outside of the park, we were not. It was an all day journey to get to this location, involving a four wheel drive and a lot of courage to traverse the barely visible track in deep fluffy sand. After finding a fantastic place to camp we were enjoying the evening with a glass of wine, when a four wheel drive police car with its lights flashing and siren blaring raced toward us. What! we're in the middle of nowhere! The two rangers (police) burst from their vehicle as if we had just robbed a bank. What are you doing here? they yelled at us. Camping I replied. They were furious having travel hours to find not a stuck motorist in distress, but a pair of artist camping in the new National Park, which was illegal. Thay did calm down after a bit, and we were allowed to stay camped and stay as we wanted (two more days). A very strange encounter with law enforcement. Anyway it was a great play to camp as we encountered a plethora of places and objects to be photographed while we stayed.

Ibex Dunes - Death Valley National Park, California. Hasselblad Flexbody w/ 350mm f=5.6 CF lens (fuji Velvia).
View attachment 7684
I love what you are getting with that 350 on this and your other post. Seems to grab a bite out of the landscape that’s very tasty.

Here is another image from Ibex Dunes with a different composition. I prefer the first one due to its abstractness, but this one will shed light on the scale of this location. Same set up as before Hasselblad Flexbody w/ 350mm f=5.6 CF lens and Fuji Velvia film.
IbexII.jpg

Back