Medium Format Forum

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Hello from Rome, Italy and Vienna, Austria

Gio

Dear all, hallo from Rome, Italy, and Vienna, Austria (my second home). I got into the "MF club" last spring, after using for years my wonderful Nikon D850 (which I still have, btw). I got first a Hasselblad H4D-40, but then I realised I wanted a real "full frame" MF (just as I got a full frame 35mm), for a real difference to my Nikon. And I had the chance of getting a gorgeous H5D-60 (the H4D is already sold). And I have to say, it's really incredible. I had tried first a HB 1XD ii, I took some shots, and the IQ is exceptional, but I could not see any real difference to my Nikon (maybe I didn't test long enough). I think it's a mixture of sensore size and CCD effect. Yes, my H5D is not easy to use, the noise is there although less than I thought even at 800 ISO (moreover, with fantastic denoiser like ON it's easy to get rid of it). Less pleasant was to find out that noise can be there even at the basis 80 ISO with exposures longer than 1/10: Dalsa sensors simply get easily hot... But ok, that's the idea: modern cameras are sometimes to easy, they do everything for you. With a Hassy you have to think over, slow down, learn, accept limitations in exchange for incredible pictures. Btw, I was positively surprised that I can even walk in the city with my Hassy (and a lightweight 80mm), and take fantastic pictures, or go for an excursion in the hills with a backpack weighing 5 kg (well, with my Nikon it wasn't that different). Summing up: Hassy ignited my passion again!

Here you go... My son Max (24), H5D-60 with HC100 2.2.
1689096199974.jpeg
  • Hasselblad - Hasselblad H5D-60
  • 100.0 mm
  • ƒ/2.2
  • 1/80 sec
  • Spot
  • ISO 200

Very good portrait!

It always surprise me how shallow the DOF with MF is with a "normal" focal range. How big is the sensor of the H5D 60 compared to the X1D?
Thank you! Well X1D is 44x33 mm, H5D-60 is 54x40. So quite a big difference. The crop factor of the x1d in compare to ”full frame” MF is 1,3, so just a bit less than APS-C in compare to 35mm FF (1,5)

Back