Medium Format Forum

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Differences between Phocus and Lightroom

I've found that Phocus displays RAW files better than Lightroom, in that the exposure seems better and colors seem displayed more vibrantly. I heard that others have had the same experience.

I also heard that there is a type of formula for adjusting an image in Lightroom in terms of increasing exposure etc to compensate so it looks the same as in Phocus. If that is correct, I wonder does anyone know what that formula may be?

Richard Naismith

LR Versus Phocus

I'm a relatively new user of Digital-Hassy (I got a CFV50 for my 500CM last june) and after a few tries I've almost only used LR (3.X then 4beta):
- I'm a PC man (and phocus for PC doesn(t support other camera)
- I've been practising LR for 3 years, know it well and appreciate both its feature and the speed of its evolution.

From time to time a do a try with Phocus and I've never seen a real difference between the results (after work !).

The only avantage (for me) of Phocus it's the automatic correction of the distorsion of the Fish-Eye 3.5/30. In one click you get a very broad wide angle (equivalent to a 15mm in 35mm). to get the same result on LR, I've to make the correction twice (distortion at 100%, export in Tiff, correct again).

I think LR 4.1 is a new step in quality and speed,

also you can create color profiles with DNG profiler using Color Checker charts

Back