Medium Format Forum

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Backing up photos in the field

Pete M.

New Member
Joined
Oct 31, 2025
Messages
21
I realize that my X2D2 has a 1 TB SSD and a card slot that can accommodate a 512 GB card. However, on a long trip, I would like to offload my photos to an external SSD. Can anyone please suggest a good one? THANK YOU!
 
There are a good many to choose from. I use a 4Tb Lexar SSD. I'd say any of the main brands work well. I use my iPad as controller, and a USB-C dock so the camera and ssd can be linked, The iPad native Files app can then be used to move files or folders from the camera to the SSD. I've done this for years.
 
Thank you, Patrick! When you say that you used your iPad as a controller, were you referring to using Phocus? And if so, is there a way to go straight from the camera to the SSD without first storing the images on the iPad? Thanks again!!
 
I have used Samsung SSD's since ever they were released and never had a problem. I think I have 4 or 5 of them now. 2TB seems the price/capacity sweet spot.

Wilson
 
Thank you, Patrick! When you say that you used your iPad as a controller, were you referring to using Phocus? And if so, is there a way to go straight from the camera to the SSD without first storing the images on the iPad? Thanks again!!
Not Phocus. The native Files app will let you look at files on youX2Dii and your external SSD. You can select a folder and copy it from the camera to the SSD. very easy
 
I have a good Card reader for the CF Class B cards in the X2D / X2Dii. I use this to copy them to my iPad and then use a Pelican-type case to hold the spare/full cards when they are not in my camera body. I will replace the CF cards sometimes before they are full. So, I use the internal hard drive as the temporary backup because, on a long trip, I can fill it. If I have backed up to my iPad, then the iPad and CF become the source, and I reformat my internal drive. Agree that you cannot have too many backups when traveling with digital.

As a side note, when I use SD cards, I first write-protect them before I try to copy to an external SSD or the iPad so I don't overwrite something by mistake.
 
Back
Top