Medium Format Forum

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Tethered Focus stacking with the X2D-100C and 120/3.5 Macro

ajm057

The new update to Phocus (3.7) allows some tethered control over the X2D, but live you and full automated control is awaiting a firmware update for the X2D. As a result one can shoot tethered and stack images - but each focus adjustment has to be done by clicking on the >, >>, or >>> buttons.
I took a series of shots of single flowers with the X2D-100C and XCD 120/3.5 Macro; processed the RAW files in Phocus to generate 16-bit TIFF outputs (using Hasselblad RGB*L) which I then brought into HeliconFocus Pro. HeliconFocus pro, running on my Mac Studio Ultra) had no problem handling these very large files - some sequences were 50 images. I, however, needed a more stable shooting environment and the XCD 120/3.5 "CLEARLY" suffers from significant focus breathing when shooting at the minimum focussing distance (430mm). Far more stable focus stacking results were seen at 500mm than at closer in.
The full sequence of shots can be accessed here Full album of shots - I processed them in full colour and 2 variants of B&W - using Silver Effex Pro - wet rocks and fine art as the starting point. I also posted shot videos of the 3D maps.
Here is a very downsampled/downsized example:
20220925_173300 X2D 120 Macro_Tethered 02 Stacked (A,R4,S2)-DN-20220925 Fine Art.jpg

I think that is a great one. I believe that H will be releasing software upgrades to bring the X2D up to speed. I have the new Phocus on the laptop and tonight willupgrade on the desktop. There is a lot we can do with the X2D. It will take me a long while to learn it.

Back