Medium Format Forum

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Phase One P25+

emendoz1

I guess I will be the first to post!

I've owned a Phase One P 25+ and Hasselblad H2 for over 13 years and used them regularly although I also own many other cameras and used them as well. I use this system and really love the images that it produces. My only gripe is the digital back is limited to it's native sensor size of 22 mp unlike film that can be scanned to almost any size you need. I really love this back and hate to get rid of it although It is heavy, slow and cumbersome compared to my other cameras like Canon, Fuji, and a few more. In the past I have stitched several images together in order to achieve a higher pixel count but this is getting to be cumbersome and sometimes impossible to do due to the nature of the image. I have been thinking of upgrading to the Hasselblad X1D or even the Fujifilm GFX lately because of their smaller size and larger sensor. My only problem is lenses. I have several HC lenses and love the way they render images. I now that Fuji makes great lenses and almost identical to Hasselblad but the cost of changing brands can get expensive. Years ago I swore I'd never play the pixel game and buy the newest camera and I still think it is all dependent on your specific needs. I produce 46 to 75 mp size images from stitching with the Phase One all the time but with a lot of work and can probably create even bigger if I wanted to. My dilemma is at what cost? How much work do I have to do to get what I need, or want? Last night I took some night images with the Hasselblad and Phase One and my back and lungs took a beating. This combination along with two lenses is heavy!

Maybe it's just age?

Has anyone made the change from a heavy medium format system to a lighter MF system and found out later that they miss the prior setup?

Thanks

I have asked that very same question for a while now....I also have the FlexColor iXPress 132 that I use on the same bodies (555 ELD and 553 ELX) with all of the lenses....love the images, and at 72 years old, I find I am working with my Nikon d800e more often both in studio and location. But I am finding that the assignments are becoming very few and far behind, and most are in studio, and more geared to web assignments....but....it's all paid for, and I find the images that are produced are more than sufficient for the end result needed. Have been tempted to play the resolution game, but my pocket book says "no, no" and if I really wanted a higher resolution than what I have (any images I produce now will suffice for billboard size !), I can do the film/ scan thing like the old days...and it will still be just as good as spending money I don't have on newer equipment, just to keep up with the Jones's !!

I am just now getting into this sit....and am already finding that the ease to find the tab to edit my response is not easy to find, and by the time I found it the 10 minute limit to edit had expired...please fix.

I guess I will be the first to post!

I've owned a Phase One P 25+ and Hasselblad H2 for over 13 years and used them regularly although I also own many other cameras and used them as well. I use this system and really love the images that it produces. My only gripe is the digital back is limited to it's native sensor size of 22 mp unlike film that can be scanned to almost any size you need. I really love this back and hate to get rid of it although It is heavy, slow and cumbersome compared to my other cameras like Canon, Fuji, and a few more. In the past I have stitched several images together in order to achieve a higher pixel count but this is getting to be cumbersome and sometimes impossible to do due to the nature of the image. I have been thinking of upgrading to the Hasselblad X1D or even the Fujifilm GFX lately because of their smaller size and larger sensor. My only problem is lenses. I have several HC lenses and love the way they render images. I now that Fuji makes great lenses and almost identical to Hasselblad but the cost of changing brands can get expensive. Years ago I swore I'd never play the pixel game and buy the newest camera and I still think it is all dependent on your specific needs. I produce 46 to 75 mp size images from stitching with the Phase One all the time but with a lot of work and can probably create even bigger if I wanted to. My dilemma is at what cost? How much work do I have to do to get what I need, or want? Last night I took some night images with the Hasselblad and Phase One and my back and lungs took a beating. This combination along with two lenses is heavy!

Maybe it's just age?

Has anyone made the change from a heavy medium format system to a lighter MF system and found out later that they miss the prior setup?

Thanks

I have asked that very same question for a while now....along with the P25, I also have the FlexColor iXPress 132both 22 mpx, that I use on the same bodies (555 ELD and 553 ELX) with all of the lenses....love the images, and at 72 years old, I find I am working with my Nikon d800e more often both in studio and location. But I am finding that the assignments are becoming very few and far between, and most are in studio, and more geared to web assignments....but....the equipment is all paid for, and I find the images that are produced are more than sufficient for the end result needed. Have been tempted to play the resolution game, but my pocket book says "no, no", and if I really wanted a higher resolution than what I have (any images I produce now will suffice for billboard size !), I can do the film / scan thing like the old days...and it will still be just as good as spending money I don't have on newer equipment, just to keep up with the Jones's !!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Jim. Glad to see someone else here. I am 59 years old and share your frustration with the pixel war. Incidentally I just purchased a Nikon d800 a few days ago from KEH and cant wait to get it. I’m hoping that a full frame dslr with 36 mp will suffice and is also lighter than the Hasselblad with the 55-110mm lens. I regrettably sold my Hasselblad 500cm and a few lenses some years ago because I wasn’t using it. I kept my Mamiya RZ67 Pro and still use it occasionally. Most of my clients are moving their advertising to the web and don’t need larger than life images but I do for some unrealistic reason. I simply can’t kick the habit that bigger is better. I closed my studio recently due to COVID scare but I’m hoping that in the near future I can reopen and start using my large cameras again. I even have a few 4x5 cameras that I’d love to use with the phase one alongside some film just for fun.
I too don’t know how to use this forum very well but I’m including my website below. You can reach me through through my email as well.

Great to talk to you!

eddymendoza.com

Hi Jim. Glad to see someone else here. I am 59 years old and share your frustration with the pixel war. Incidentally I just purchased a Nikon d800 a few days ago from KEH and cant wait to get it. I’m hoping that a full frame dslr with 36 mp will suffice and is also lighter than the Hasselblad with the 55-110mm lens. I regrettably sold my Hasselblad 500cm and a few lenses some years ago because I wasn’t using it. I kept my Mamiya RZ67 Pro and still use it occasionally. Most of my clients are moving their advertising to the web and don’t need larger than life images but I do for some unrealistic reason. I simply can’t kick the habit that bigger is better. I closed my studio recently due to COVID scare but I’m hoping that in the near future I can reopen and start using my large cameras again. I even have a few 4x5 cameras that I’d love to use with the phase one alongside some film just for fun.
I too don’t know how to use this forum very well but I’m including my website below. You can reach me through through my email as well.

Great to talk to you!

eddymendoza.com
Hi Eddy,
Your site, eddymendoza.com, when I went to it, said it was suspended...uh-oh !.....What 4x5 do you have ?.....I have gotten rid of my 8x10/4x5 (Calumet) and my pair of Sinar F-1's....all I have left is my Sinar P2....with many lenses...have saved a few film holders and all of the nice lenses and 2 bag bellows. I have already used the P25 on it with the sliding back. It took a while to figure out how to trigger the back and then the shutter, as I do not have the auto shutter and really don't want to go through the expense of buying one and new lens boards, and transferring and shimming the lenses. The only draw back is having to be aware that the lenses are now appearing to be longer and using a the proper bag bellows....still fun, though !
Great to talk to you, also !

(Mod edit: Private address deleted to protect you against spam spiders and your privacy. Please use PM to exchange these confidential information.)

I recently got mad at my hosting company because after almost 20 years of doing business with them and at least 20 websites that I manage they had the balls to charge me more than a new customer so I changed the billing to monthly instead of 3 or 5 year contract. I guess they forgot to take payment. I just paid them and the site should come up.

I have 3 large format cameras. One is an old Calumet with a 185mm lens I think. The other is a Cambo and I can’t remember the lens right now, and the last one is a copy of a a Linholf made in India Which works great! I have so many older cameras in storage right now because I was teaching photography and showing the new crowd what we used to use in the old days. Some of them get a kick out of seeing the old systems and using them even If it is only a dry run without any film. This evening I went shooting some night photography with a FUJI XE-1 that I love. If it would only produce bigger images I would use it exclusively. I haven’t finished editing but I’ll attach an image from two nights ago.

Have a good night amigo!

5A88F856-09E7-4170-A440-F16B46F4D24F.jpeg

Mod edit: I made the image bigger.

I recently got mad at my hosting company because after almost 20 years of doing business with them and at least 20 websites that I manage they had the balls to charge me more than a new customer so I changed the billing to monthly instead of 3 or 5 year contract. I guess they forgot to take payment. I just paid them and the site should come up.

I have 3 large format cameras. One is an old Calumet with a 185mm lens I think. The other is a Cambo and I can’t remember the lens right now, and the last one is a copy of a a Linholf made in India Which works great! I have so many older cameras in storage right now because I was teaching photography and showing the new crowd what we used to use in the old days. Some of them get a kick out of seeing the old systems and using them even If it is only a dry run without any film. This evening I went shooting some night photography with a FUJI XE-1 that I love. If it would only produce bigger images I would use it exclusively. I haven’t finished editing but I’ll attach an image from two nights ago.

Have a good night amigo!
Very nice....love the colors !! Where are you located ? I do have a Hassy up for sale....but we can talk about that later. Good nite to you, also...we should stay in touch !!

Very nice image! I just made it bigger. As thumbnail, it is too small to enjoy it.
Thanks! I shot that with a Fuji XPRO-1 and a kit lens. You may not believe this but I purchased the XPRo-2 thinking that more megapixels would translate into a better image but the opposite happened. When you open these files in PS or LR and do some editing you can see the difference right away. I may have gotten a bad camera and I will probably buy another XPRo-2 to verify but I really feel like the smaller 16MP sensor on my XPRO-1 is way better. I find myself using this camera more than my Hasselblad H2 and Phase One P25+ due to it's size and weight. My original post was about moving on and getting either the X1D or the Fuji GFX with the 50MP sensor. Here is another night image I took a few days ago with the Fuji XPRO-1. Let me know what you think of the editing. I did some stuff to the sky so it comes out better on matte paper with texture.
DSCF4566.jpg

Thanks for the complement.

The output of the Fuji XPro1 is somehow different compared to all the other Fuji X models. I have a XPro1 too.

I do not know the reason for it. Although technically the XPro2 and all other Fuji X models with the newer sensors should be "better", there is something special in the images of the Xpro1.
It is also better than the XT1 in my opionion, which has the same sensor. So Fuji probably treated some algorithms differently.

I wanted to buy the Xpro2, but it is still too expensive on the second hand market. XPro3 is no option for me because of the LCD and different optical viewfinder magnification with different lenses.

My XE3 is almost untouched in the closet. I never gave it a real chance. I just purchased the X100V and will try it out over the next months. The X100V is one of those cameras which belong into every photo arsenal. Like the Ricoh GR3 or the Hasselblad 500CM. Milestones which changed for man photographers the way they shoot.

The output of the Fuji XPro1 is somehow different compared to all the other Fuji X models. I have a XPro1 too.

I do not know the reason for it. Although technically the XPro2 and all other Fuji X models with the newer sensors should be "better", there is something special in the images of the Xpro1.
It is also better than the XT1 in my opionion, which has the same sensor. So Fuji probably treated some algorithms differently.

I wanted to buy the Xpro2, but it is still too expensive on the second hand market. XPro3 is no option for me because of the LCD and different optical viewfinder magnification with different lenses.

My XE3 is almost untouched in the closet. I never gave it a real chance. I just purchased the X100V and will try it out over the next months. The X100V is one of those cameras which belong into every photo arsenal. Like the Ricoh GR3 or the Hasselblad 500CM. Milestones which changed for man photographers the way they shoot.
So I'm not going crazy? I thought I was the only one that thought the Xpro1 was different than all the others with same sensor. I also have an XE1 which I purchased New Years ago and after buying the Xpro2 I rarely touch it. My wish is for Fuji to make the X Pro with a full frame sensor and keep it the same size and hopefully the same "special" sensor as that of the first version. When you mentioned the Hasselblad 500CM I felt my heart go faster. I had a beautiful and near perfect 500C and a 500CM that I sold years ago when I bought the H2 thinking that the added auto focus and newer electrical aspect would be helpful, and although I love my H2 I miss the 500CM like crazy! Now they are way out of my price range especially if I wanted to buy a digital back to go with it. But if I win the Lottery all bets are off!

Next post let's tackle some medium format film development!

So I'm not going crazy? I thought I was the only one that thought the Xpro1 was different than all the others with same sensor. I also have an XE1 which I purchased New Years ago and after buying the Xpro2 I rarely touch it. My wish is for Fuji to make the X Pro with a full frame sensor and keep it the same size and hopefully the same "special" sensor as that of the first version. When you mentioned the Hasselblad 500CM I felt my heart go faster. I had a beautiful and near perfect 500C and a 500CM that I sold years ago when I bought the H2 thinking that the added auto focus and newer electrical aspect would be helpful, and although I love my H2 I miss the 500CM like crazy! Now they are way out of my price range especially if I wanted to buy a digital back to go with it. But if I win the Lottery all bets are off!

Next post let's tackle some medium format film development!
The 500 EL/M I have that may go up for sale works great with the P-25....I'll check it out tomorrow....and it will come with a 12 and 24 back.

The 500 EL/M I have that may go up for sale works great with the P-25....I'll check it out tomorrow....and it will come with a 12 and 24 back.

Jim Padilla
Capricorn Studios / Accu-Pix
Fall River, Ma. 02723
508-789-6461
capricornstudios@sprynet.com
jpadcap149@sprynet.com
www.capricornstudios.com
The only problem is that my P-25 is for an H system and Phase One doesn't change out the connecting plate so I would have to buy another back that would fit. I would be interested anyways so let me know when you do put it up for sale.

Thanks

The only problem is that my P-25 is for an H system and Phase One doesn't change out the connecting plate so I would have to buy another back that would fit. I would be interested anyways so let me know when you do put it up for sale.

Thanks
Will do !!

(Mod edit: Please no private email/contact information in public posts. Spam spiders will get this.)

I hope you don't mind me chiming in but I spent 40+ years using 35mm and 120 cameras and was extremely happy with the output. In the early years of digital photography, I got on-board and ran 35mm (Nikon DX and, subsequently, FX) in tandem with my film shooting. When MF digital became a thing, I wanted to jump in but the price for the backs to fit my Hasselblad rig were WAY out of my range.

About a year ago, I found a secondhand Fuji GFX 50r at a price I could manage and added 32-64mm and 100-200mm GF lenses. I'd previously used a Nikon D810 and been very happy with it but, for whatever reason, I was much happier with the output from the Fuji. With the introduction of the GFX100s, the prices of the original GFX100, 50s and 50r must be set to drop and become comparable with full frame DSLRs. 50MP is sufficient for my needs, though.

I no longer have my Hassy system but I do miss it. One day, might reacquire a 500c/m +50/80/150 lenses - but only for film.

I hope you don't mind me chiming in but I spent 40+ years using 35mm and 120 cameras and was extremely happy with the output. In the early years of digital photography, I got on-board and ran 35mm (Nikon DX and, subsequently, FX) in tandem with my film shooting. When MF digital became a thing, I wanted to jump in but the price for the backs to fit my Hasselblad rig were WAY out of my range.

About a year ago, I found a secondhand Fuji GFX 50r at a price I could manage and added 32-64mm and 100-200mm GF lenses. I'd previously used a Nikon D810 and been very happy with it but, for whatever reason, I was much happier with the output from the Fuji. With the introduction of the GFX100s, the prices of the original GFX100, 50s and 50r must be set to drop and become comparable with full frame DSLRs. 50MP is sufficient for my needs, though.

I no longer have my Hassy system but I do miss it. One day, might reacquire a 500c/m +50/80/150 lenses - but only for film.
I'm glad you chimed in! That's exactly what I've been trying to negotiate with myself lately. I love the results of my Fuji Xpro-1 but at 16mp I find it too small for what I do, although the images are beautiful. I would love to buy a Fuji GFX system with at least one lens for now or even a Hasselblad X1D but the prices are way too high right now for my budget. When I purchased the Hasselblad H2 and Phase One back years ago I paid top dollar even though they were both used and although I still love that combo I keep thinking it's time to make a change, again! I just purchased a Nikon D800 and got it in the mail today. I will test it for a few days, weeks maybe longer and if this doesn't quench my thirst I will definitely go for the GFX. Thanks for your input.

No worries. I'm sure you'll love the D800 as it's a very fine camera. The GFX system is only really "larger than full frame" (not really medium format) but the lenses are IMO, stellar, albeit that the range is limited and they are definitely not cheap. For me, it's about what I can afford. I have an X-Pro2 and an infra-red converted X-T20 + a load of XF glass. If I didn't have the GFX, I could still manage just fine. I miss my X-Pro1 as it had great character and I might buy a replacement. IMO, there's too much talk about this body / sensor is "better" than that. We need to decide what we want and to hell with others' opinions.

Thanks
Just dug ot the system....it's not a P-25...it is an H-25, which works great with any of the 500 series motor bodies...am testing on the 500 EL/M as we speak...I'll let you know how it works out. I think it is the same basic back (P-25 and H-25)...If I remember right, the P-25 is capable of multiple images, good for focus stacking.

Back