Medium Format Forum

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Hasselbald stops production of V line

"a substantial decline in demand for this camera over the past five years or so"
Well no new camera since 17 years (503CW) no more lenses aviable and no shops in my country, to say that the decline demande was the reason of this fatal issue is not the truth. And to write that the future is the Sony-Lunar is the proof that marketing of Hasselblad has not finished to kill Hasselblad.
They stop the V line just before 53x53mm sensor will be aviable on market to safe the future of the H line.

Personally I think the future of the H line is also questionable - the new VC directorate seem to be inspired by Gucci, Versace and co.
It is really sad what has happened to this illustrious company.

In Switzerland there are two triks to detect when a firm has reached the top and may decline: For Financials it’s when the CEO buy a yacht and for Industrials when the CEO shows his cars.

Well Hasselblad top manager likes Ferraries and discovered that plastic camera was easier to paint in red.

http://hasselblad.com/ferrari-edition.aspx
BTW, I just recieved my Leica M240 today. Till yesterday I was not 100% safe of my choise in case that Hasselblad annonce a new CFV digital back (I allready have a M9-P and CFV-39)
Now My idea are clear, ....and I probably will paint my CFV-39 in blue (as I did with my 2000FCM) because not good reason to sell it for a new model.
That's all folk !

I have to agree with you.

However, I think the lack of response on this forum is another sad indicator.

I think , we all to accept the fact , that HASSELBLAD has stopped the V-SYSTEM production .
But the system is not dead . Think of all the thousands and thousands of V-SYSTEM cameras out there around the world , which are alive and work well .
Might even be much to the chagrin of HASSELBLAD . But all that wonderful gear will still be around for many years and many owners will not buy into the H-System .
Long live the V-System .

Why is there a lack of response on this forum ? ? ? I have asked myself that question many times .

So I ask all users here to come up with their ideas and let us know , what could be done to revive this forum .

I actually thought the new V-series cameras were dead a long time ago. There is a used market and they're making owning a Hasselblad a reality for many.

The news that production has ceased is not really news at all. The simple fact is that there are no more new V cameras left in stock. This is the official announcement of that.

I have just posted this on the BJP comments:

V line Hasselblad
I think this is a sad decision. In my opinion the V series cameras are more versatile tha the electronic H series cameras, and being mechanical can be used in more extreme conditions where battery powered cameras have a habit of conking out!

This reminds me of those who believed that large format would die out when better digital cameras came along. Today many users of these cameras are serious amateurs like myself. Hasselblad could always market their V series cameras at the serious amateur market. For the record many amateurs are happy to part with several thousand pounds for Ebony's top of the range large format cameras: why does Hasselblad not believe they can target the V series at us?

Sad but not surprising : there are a few hundreds of thousand of 500 cameras on the used market. A new Hasseblad is competing with lots of used Hasselblad to be sold: without any innovation or affordable digital back, the V line was not sustainable.

For me it is also ironic : I'm currently assembling a cheap 500C kit the same week they officially kill it. So far I have a 1962 500C with acute matte and crank, 150 CF and chrome 50 C T* for less than 750 euros. Still have to find a 80 (I don't think a 100 would fit my tiny budget).

SH - I agree - An affordable DB would have been a great help - something akin to the Leaf Aptus II 22mp back.
If priced at around $5-6'000.- I'm sure there would have been quite a few customers.
The CFV-50 is terrific, but has too many mp for most people - and at > $15'000, also beyond their financial realm.

Have fun with your new kit.

Cotton candy dreams and Unicorn wishes aren't going to make a profit for Hasselblad. While there may be a few people who would pay for a new V camera, there are so many perfectly good used ones selling at a fraction of new, it made it a no go for Hasselblad.

Also, if Hasselblad didn't stock up on 22 meg sensors, then there could never be a 22 meg CFV ... the sensor was discontinued years ago. Same for the 39 meg sensor. Now gone. Can't buy what doesn't exist ... and that includes a 56 X 56 sensor which will happen when politicians stop lying ... meaning: Never : -) So, the notion that Hasselblad conspired to protect the H line is pure nonsense ... if they wanted to protect the H line and its' future, the Loony-Toons Lunar would never have seen the light of day.

The appeal to empty fashion and flamboyance coupled with already obsolete technology is so counter to what the Brand stands for, it boggles the mind as to how something like this could have happened ... but it did. Amazon has Lunars for a mere $7,000 USD. Oddly, on the same page there was a Pentax 645D for the same price!

BTW, the H camera body isn't made of plastic ... if it was, it wouldn't weigh so much. I've used both systems for years, and saying the V is more versatile is simply mis-information, usually propagated by people who never used the H for many years to do all sorts of photography.

- Marc

Hi Marc

Good to hear from you.
I agree it was time to let the V go, but it was a sad day nevertheless.
Regarding lower MP CFV backs, Leaf still has their Aptuss 22 in stock, so I guess it could have been an alternative if HB really wanted.
As much as I like the new H5, it is not a system I will be investing in, as the future of HB looks quite bleak, as the management seems more interested in pimp by pic than serious tools.

Take care and enjoy your well earned retirement

S:)

Good to be here old friend!

I think the Aptus-II/22 (which was introduced late 2009), is still available because either Leaf stocked up on the sensor, and/or made a commitment to a certain number from the supplier. It is shared with the Mamiya branded 22 meg back (same back, different branding). Hasselblad never made a 22 meg CFV, and 22 backs ended with lower volumn H3D-II/22s. When Kodak discontinued the 22 sensor I doubt Hasselblad projected enough volume to make it practical to stock up just to make a CFV/22, and they jumped to the 39 sensor which stayed in production along with the more popular H/39 models, giving them enough volume to make it practical. Once those went bye-bye and were replaced by the 40, 50 and finally the 60 meg sensors, the CFV/39 was also discontinued once any stock was depleted. IMO, the CFV/50 remains available mostly because there is a H5D/50.

The CFV is a great back, but had it's limitations on the V camera once the sensor became a rectangle ... virtually eliminating portrait mode shooting with a camera and accessories designed for square format. The CFV back couldn't be rotated on the camera due to the design and triggering methodology. The solution could've been a rotating sensor ala Leaf, but I seriously doubt many with a 503CW would would pay what that would've cost.

It will be interesting to see if the Loony will implode Hasselblad ... The H5D may not be a compelling upgrade for H4D owners, but as a new camera, it spec's out quite well against the competition ... mostly because of the camera itself. IMO, the thing keeping Hasselblad from rack and ruin, is the fact that the Phase One camera is so universally thought as substandard in comparison. The Vaporware replacement for the Phase camera remains elusive ... time will tell.

Frankly, had I continued on with commercial photography, I would have had no qualms springing for a H5D/50 Multi-Shot. Great 50 meg single shot, and the epitome of IQ is MS mode.

- Marc

BTW, I still have a few bits and pieces of Hasselblad ... the HC-100/2.2, HTS/1.5, and a couple of extension tubes to use on my Leica S2 with H to S adapter ... But I'll probably sell those off sooner or later.

Marc,
If you ever want to get rid of the 100mm f2.2, let me know!
I agree - the H5 is a sexy beast - and local prices are quite attractive - if I were a working pro - it wouldn't be a question......:)
I hope looney implodes the current management..... and somebody with photographic sense buys up HB.
Cheers
S : )

Cotton candy dreams and Unicorn wishes aren't going to make a profit for Hasselblad. While there may be a few people who would pay for a new V camera, there are so many perfectly good used ones selling at a fraction of new, it made it a no go for Hasselblad.

Also, if Hasselblad didn't stock up on 22 meg sensors, then there could never be a 22 meg CFV ... the sensor was discontinued years ago. Same for the 39 meg sensor. Now gone. Can't buy what doesn't exist ... and that includes a 56 X 56 sensor which will happen when politicians stop lying ... meaning: Never : -) So, the notion that Hasselblad conspired to protect the H line is pure nonsense ... if they wanted to protect the H line and its' future, the Loony-Toons Lunar would never have seen the light of day.

The appeal to empty fashion and flamboyance coupled with already obsolete technology is so counter to what the Brand stands for, it boggles the mind as to how something like this could have happened ... but it did. Amazon has Lunars for a mere $7,000 USD. Oddly, on the same page there was a Pentax 645D for the same price!

BTW, the H camera body isn't made of plastic ... if it was, it wouldn't weigh so much. I've used both systems for years, and saying the V is more versatile is simply mis-information, usually propagated by people who never used the H for many years to do all sorts of photography.

- Marc

I haven't tried a modern H series camera (with film back) but whilst I would love to use one my problem is that most cameras cannot operate at -30C. Admittedly most NORMAL people don't do photography at night in those temperatures!:lol:

Apologies for any offence caused.:z04_Flucht:

I haven't tried a modern H series camera (with film back) but whilst I would love to use one my problem is that most cameras cannot operate at -30C. Admittedly most NORMAL people don't do photography at night in those temperatures!:lol:

Apologies for any offence caused.:z04_Flucht:

No offence:

I guess that is why Michael Kenna sticks to his V series HB.

The end of manufacture was inevitable. The end of using our V series Hasselblads is not, but we have to do our part by using them regularly and supporting the businesses and individuals that help us keep them going. The end will come when there is nobody to repair them or salvage and stockpile parts. That doesn't have to happen in my lifetime.

The end of manufacture was inevitable.
No, it was possible to do elseway. Many custumer said that and even inside of Hasselblad Leica succeed with M line and I’m not sure the S line will existe in 10years.

The end of using our V series Hasselblads is not, but we have to do our part by using them regularly and supporting the businesses and individuals that help us keep them going.
No duty for a product that does not exist. Why support Hasselblad as they made no effort since a decade for V and Xpan lines ?

I have to say, I am really dissapointed with Hasselblad. There are diluting the brand. Rather than focusing on what made the company respected and building on top of that, they are talking to their own customers like they are stupid. Ferrari cameras and italian design. Really?

This is the mistake that so many great companies make, thinking they have to rebrand their products with layer upon layer of gaudy veneer to make their products more attractive. I despise the Hasselblad management for this. Not because they killed the V-system, I was expecting that, but because they are diluting the Hasselblad brand and developing products, which have opposite characteristics of the qualities that Hasselblad is (was?) respected for. They will pay for this in the long term. Trading long term value creation for a short term sales increae is never a good idea.

Back