Medium Format Forum

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Awaiting release of upgraded 907X with 100mp CFV

bladdered

I’m anticipating that the Hasselblad offer of the free included 45XCD lens with the 907X is preparing the ground for the introduction of the X2D sensor and features to the CFV digital back. Whilst the current 50mp back is big enough for my needs, the added features of the X2D are very attractive. Obviously there’s no guarantee that these features will make it through, especially IBIS, but focus speed should be improved, etc.

My question here is should I wait for the upgrade, which I’m currently doing, or jump on the current offer ? What would users of the CFV ii 50C like to have from the X2D ? Would they buy the current version instead, especially as a price increase may be involved. Thanks.

No, I wouldn't wait for an upgrade here. Take advantage of the current offer.
All those who are always waiting for an upgrade with the purchase always miss the current version and ultimately get nothing.
Remember that a 100 MP sensor does not only have advantages. The 907X in its current configuration is a wonderful camera that can support your creativity 100%.

I’m anticipating that the Hasselblad offer of the free included 45XCD lens with the 907X is preparing the ground for the introduction of the X2D sensor and features to the CFV digital back. Whilst the current 50mp back is big enough for my needs, the added features of the X2D are very attractive. Obviously there’s no guarantee that these features will make it through, especially IBIS, but focus speed should be improved, etc.

My question here is should I wait for the upgrade, which I’m currently doing, or jump on the current offer ? What would users of the CFV ii 50C like to have from the X2D ? Would they buy the current version instead, especially as a price increase may be involved. Thanks.
In the interest of full disclosure, I'm an admitted gear junkie :) I change equipment fairly regularly, so my requirements may not be a good match for your own. And my subject matter may be entirely different. The sort of stuff we photograph is like this.

If a 907x and CFV II 50C is what you have decided will fill your needs I suggest you take advantage of the current offer. It may very well be a while before the 100mp version is even announced, much less available for purchase. Personally, I also anticipate an enormous increase in cost, but that's only speculation of course. I anticipate the 100mp version being beyond what I can justify.

I have a 907x CFV II 50c and three lenses. The lenses are left over from my X1D II, which I no longer own.

We were unable to justify keeping the X1D II in conjunction with our two Nikon D850's. The X1D II, in my use case, did not provide capabilities lacking in our D850's, lacked certain features the D850 did provide, and was just not sufficiently beneficial to retain. I liked it, it was a fantastic camera, just not a good fit to my uses. The 907x fills a completely different roll for me, and I also enjoy using the CFV II 50c with a V System body. My second time around with that, having already owned a CFV-16 and several V System bodies some years ago.

If we're guessing at what the 100mp version specifications might be, I'm inclined to suspect that, for me at least, there's not going to be much there except possibly less rolling shutter effect with electronic shutter and an increased ability to crop hard. Both of which are significant upgrades, just not something I'm prepared to pay for.

Thanks for your extensive reply, very interesting.
I have it, with some authority, that the CFV 100 will be announced in September. Doesn't guarantee it though, but I'm prepared to wait until then. My fear is that I buy the 50C and am immediately disappointed that I didn't wait. I've no idea which features will transfer and which won't.
Primarily I'd be using it with 503Cx, 203FE and an SWC, with no real desire (at the moment) to buy any more lenses. I have CFe and HC lenses and a couple of Leica lenses. I also owned a CFV-16, but found the 33x33 crop was far too extreme and my widest lens was a 50mm CF FLE. Now I've got the Voigtländer M 15mm which Vieri reckons will work at 33x33 on the 907x.
I'm sure that 50mpix will be adequate. On the later version, I doubt that ibis will be available, faster focus confirmation will be supported, 1Tb memory should be included. If it's for the same price as the 907x without the promotional 45p lens, I'd be happy. If it's £2k more, I won't be buying it.

Thanks.

Thanks for your extensive reply, very interesting.
I have it, with some authority, that the CFV 100 will be announced in September. Doesn't guarantee it though, but I'm prepared to wait until then. My fear is that I buy the 50C and am immediately disappointed that I didn't wait. I've no idea which features will transfer and which won't.
Primarily I'd be using it with 503Cx, 203FE and an SWC, with no real desire (at the moment) to buy any more lenses. I have CFe and HC lenses and a couple of Leica lenses. I also owned a CFV-16, but found the 33x33 crop was far too extreme and my widest lens was a 50mm CF FLE. Now I've got the Voigtländer M 15mm which Vieri reckons will work at 33x33 on the 907x.
I'm sure that 50mpix will be adequate. On the later version, I doubt that ibis will be available, faster focus confirmation will be supported, 1Tb memory should be included. If it's for the same price as the 907x without the promotional 45p lens, I'd be happy. If it's £2k more, I won't be buying it.

Thanks.
A 203fe or, if luck happens to show it's head, a 205TCC are on the list of stuff I'm interested in acquiring. Not bad enough to actually pull out the credit card, but I'm still looking :)

A 203fe or, if luck happens to show it's head, a 205TCC are on the list of stuff I'm interested in acquiring. Not bad enough to actually pull out the credit card, but I'm still looking :)
A great pair of cameras. The 203Fe is more user friendly than the 205 afaik and is preferred imo.

You know that the FE and the TCC nobody can repair if some bad happens?

Back