Medium Format Forum

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

93mm filters for Distagon 40mm CFE

Pete_G

I've just aquired a 40mm Distagon for my 503CW/CFV, and very nice it is too but filters seem to be hard to come by. I've found a 93mm UV drop in, for protection, but really badly need a 4 stop, or so, ND filter and it would seem Heliopan et al don't make them anymore. Any idea where I might find such a thing, or failing that, has anyone any experience with the Lee system on this lens. Thanks.

pete

If you unscrew the filter holder from your Distagon you are left with an 86mm thread. You can then use this more common size instead of the 93. However depending on the pattern of the 86mm filter it may not attach because of the internal lens hood petals that are present on the lens. The glass must be mounted near the front of the filter to allow it to mount. I have also taken the glass out of a UV filter and used the mount as a spacer and then attached the filter.
Next you have to be sure that none of this shows up in your pictures. Use slim mount filters.
It can be done with a little experimentation!

Hi Terry,

You are right about the 86 mm filters but it is tricky business.
I know a guy who is about to cut of the petals.
These interfere with 86 mm fitting.

Other solution may be to upgrade with an adapter to 105 mm filters.
Heliopan still has a range of 105 mm filters including NDs.
It sure is not getting any cheaper but the range of filters to choose from may be larger.

An adapter 105 mm and a filter holder for gelatin filters is for sale at evilbay.

Paul

Yay!

I just got lucky, and bought myself a absolutely mint B+W 95EW circular polarising filter. :z04_sabber:

If it was offered as "unused, new" people would believe it straightaway. Anyway, this filter is one of these "oversized glass" filters for use with wide-angle lenses. The seller noted it fits on the HC-series wide-angles (not that I care about that ;) ). For 75 EURO-bucks not overly expensive either. Especially not when noting the RSP
http://www.schneideroptics.com/ecommerce/CatalogItemDetail.aspx?CID=218&IID=3957

I'm now anxiously waiting for the delivery of a 86-95mm stepup ring in order to fit it to my CF40. I also need to find a suitable lenscap for it as the outside diameter of the filter is 115mm. Which, incidently, makes the 501C/M with CF40 plus filter look a bit like a Panzerfaust :D

Wilko

Yay!

........which, incidently, makes the 501C/M with CF40 plus filter look a bit like a Panzerfaust :D

Wilko

Better carry a white flag where ever you go with this set up.
It may explain your peacefull intentions and save your life someday....

Paul

Yay!

I just got lucky, and bought myself a absolutely mint B+W 95EW circular polarising filter. :z04_sabber:
<snip>

Wilko

The stepup ring has arrived today all the way from California (bought on eBay). It fits nicely and the result sure looks scary. The fact that this is an EW (wide angle) version filter explains the large diameter (115mm).

All in all I can recommend the overall solution, a 95mm screwmount filter plus a step up ring are a viable and cost effective solution, which saves you from hunting down a rare Hasselblad filter.

Assuming you acquire a circular pol filter it is even future proof should you ever succumb to the sirens (read: go for the H series).

Our esteemed moderator has acquired a non-EW B+W 95mm pola, I am sure we will soon hear how well that works using a stepup ring.

Now if only these darn rain clouds would dissappear...

Wilko

Side note: the screwthreads on the original Hasselblad 93mm ring are NOT 93mm. The 93mm refers to the diameter of the drop-in filters. Caveat empor.

Attachments

• DCP_7087.jpg
    EXIF
    DCP_7087.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 112
  • DCP_7087.jpg
    EXIF
    DCP_7087.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 109
  • DCP_7086.jpg
    EXIF
    DCP_7086.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 91
  • DCP_7086.jpg
    EXIF
    DCP_7086.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 89
I've just aquired a 40mm Distagon for my 503CW/CFV, and very nice it is too but filters seem to be hard to come by. I've found a 93mm UV drop in, for protection, but really badly need a 4 stop, or so, ND filter and it would seem Heliopan et al don't make them anymore. Any idea where I might find such a thing, or failing that, has anyone any experience with the Lee system on this lens. Thanks.

pete
lee filters are extremely good, if a touch expensive; also, make sure you do not get fingerprints on the surface of the filter. you will probably have to stump up for a filter holder kit- but it is worth it for the effects. go for an0.6, + 0,9 nd to start with; equivalent to 2 stop, and 3 stop increase in exposure.

Thanks for the info Jery, this looks like the way I will go, although with summer now gone in the UK (did it ever arrive?) it's less important. I wait a few months just in case a used Heliopan pops up on the net.

I was amazed to find most 93 mm filters were dropped from the Heliopan pricelist. Although less friendly for your wallet there is a way around that by moving to 95 or even 105 mm filters and make use of a suitable adapter.

These adapters can be found at eBay, brand new made in China.
Thanks for that Wilko!

I have used one of those to fit a 95 mm polarizer on a lens with 86 mm thread.
The following Hasselblad lenses have 86 mm threads:
40 mm CF/CFE, 50 MM F/FE, 350 mm C and 500 mm C.

To make the 86 mm thread available the shade from both the 40 mm and 50 mm lenses needs to be removed.
It may be safe to go for the 105 mm filter size with the 40 mm WA to prevent vignetting.

An adapter also expands the possibilties to find used filters of course.

Heliopan filters: http://www.heliopan.de/Heliopan-Filters.pdf

Interesting to read not only what is available but also Heliopans research for
better coatings.

Paul

IMG_1299-4.jpg

50 mm F lens fitted with 95 mm Polarizer from B+W

IMG_1302-2.jpg

Adapter and filter

Attachments

• IMG_1299-4.jpg
    EXIF
    IMG_1299-4.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_1302-2.jpg
    EXIF
    IMG_1302-2.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 33
I
These adapters can be found at eBay, brand new made in China.
Thanks for that Wilko!

To make the 86 mm thread available the shade from both the 40 mm and 50 mm lenses needs to be removed.
It may be safe to go for the 105 mm filter size with the 40 mm WA to prevent vignetting.

Paul

For the Distagon 40mm I use the B+W 95mm in the EW variant. That filter
is specifically designed for wide angle lenses. It has a much larger diameter glass than the standard 95mm filters. No vignetting therefore.

Wilko

Back